The Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction (The Center) is committed to building stronger, healthier communities by co-creating spaces that foster dignity, equity and choice. We serve members of our Humboldt County community who use drugs, many of whom are also experiencing houselessness. We are a highly motivated team of people who believe in harm reduction as a compassionate and evidence-based response to drug use.
Crucial to our mission is an inclusive, proactive Board of Directors. If you are interested, or have a suggestion of someone who would like to contribute to our work as a member of our Board, we would like to hear from you. We’d especially like to hear from people, or receive suggestions of people, with experience in:
- Harm Reduction
- Sex Work
- Public Health (e.g. Hepatitis C, HIV)
- Mental Health
- Working with People Experiencing Houselessness
- Working with People who Use Drugs
- Working with Law Enforcement
- Stigma Reduction
- Social Media/Web Design
- Public Relations
- Grant Writing and Development
If you’d like to apply, click here to complete the HACHR Board of Directors Application.
If you’d like to volunteer first, to get a feel for the work we do, check out our “Get Involved” page.
If you’d like to nominate someone for the board, please send their contact information to Jessica Smith, our Board Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description: Member, Board of Directors
Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of the Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Mission statement: The Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction in committed to building stronger, healthier communities by co-creating spaces that foster dignity, equity and choice.To reduce harm to the Humboldt community through advocacy, education, and services.
- Organizational leadership, governance, and advisement
- Organization of the Board of Directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
* Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term: Two years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of two (2) consecutive terms, pending approval of the board.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors meets once per month at a date and time mutually agreed upon by the majority of board members. Meetings typically last two (2) hours.
- Committees of the board meet an average of one time per month, pending their respective work agenda.
- Board members are asked to attend at least 75% of special events and meetings per year, as they are determined.
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Participate on a standing committee of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction’s mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction’s mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction’s finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction.
- Financially support Humboldt Area Center for Harm Reduction in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.